Wilson Community Center
Welcome to the Wilson Community Center! Established in 2001 through a successful grant application to the U.S. Department of Education’s 21st Century Community Learning Center, our Community Center continues its efforts to enrich the lives of students and families living in our district.
One of our objectives is to help the schools and teachers with student achievement by increasing parent education and involvement within our schools. We provide classes, workshops, and presentations for parents such as ESL classes, financial workshops, and presentations about district and school programs.
The Center collaborates with many organizations and community and parent volunteers to provide students and their families with opportunities they would not otherwise enjoy. These collaborations allow families to enhance their neighborhood and enjoy time together in a safe, healthy, and fun environment. We strive to make positive changes in the lives of our students, their families, and the community.
A key to student’s academic success is to increase parent involvement. By offering a wide range of programs, especially for parents who are monolingual, we help in this endeavor.
The Wilson community center offers a variety of adult education classes each semester - Call for a current calendar! We often offer:
- English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
- GED preparation classes in Spanish through a grant to act as a Plaza Comunitario
- Parenting classes
- Computer classes
- Finance and budgeting workshops that teach the basics of take home pay, taxes, budgeting, alternative financial providers, insurance, managing and obtaining credit, credit reports, credit and debit cards, saving for a home, etc.
- Ask the Police! and Coffee with a Cop - Presented by the City of Phoenix police department this program covers topics such as burglary safety prevention, substance abuse prevention, identity theft, concealed weapons, trespassing, neighbor disputes, etc.
- Presentations by district personnel, such as understanding the school and district, programs available at school, state standards and testing, and homework assignments.
Community Center Vision
The Wilson Community Center will provide a one-stop learning and resource center with a safe, healthy, and fun environment that will build student, parent, and community success.
Community Center Mission
The center is a school and community based learning and resource center that serves to enrich and enhance the lives of Wilson students and their families by providing them with quality before- and after-school and summer programs, adult education, and family recreational events.